From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1993 14:21:05 EDT
Mike made some comments the other day I'd like to comment on.  Jason has pretty
much answered Mike's suggestions, but if I may....

>This isn't quite the first time that the RPI Inv had what was considerd to
>be a less than desirable field...for example, in 87-88, the field was
>McGill, Holy Cross, and US International. And in 86-87, it was UAF, Feris,
>and Merrimack - and RPI lost the consolation to Merrimack that year.  he
>last time I was present was 89-90 when the field was Merrimack, Brown,and
>then DivIII Union.  So I don't think this field (UML, UMass, Army) is hat
>different from the past, though there have been some better groups of eams
>in some of the recent years.

IMHO, RPI has traditionally imported patsies for the Christmas tournament as a
ways of beefing up their record.  I have great difficulty remembering a
tournament which included two top ten teams. In fact, if RPI wasn't ranked,
there sometimes wasn't even one.  Union has been a traditional participant
and, with the exception of one year, RPI has administered an annual Holiday
Pasting--much to the ennui of fans in the Capital District.  I think RPI is now
waking up to the fact that its schedules have included too many walk-overs,
(like Alabama-Huntsville, who tied them ;-) ) and it's increasingly important
to boost the strength of schedule factor.  Recent history shows how poorly RPI
has fared at NC$$ bid time, and one of the biggest reasons was their dearth
of quality opponents.

>Just a thought: I wonder if RPI has considered moving the tourney to the
>Knick.  That might elevate interest and help draw fans from all over New York.

Well, there certainly are a lot of open dates!
But more seriously, I think the major reason RPI maintains the Tournament at
Houston is $$$$ :-C  As I recall, when Houston was last renovated (1983?) the
administration noted they would be making a concerted effort to bring as
many events in as possible to help amortize the construction bonds.  While
those bonds have been paid down quite a bit, I would surmise it's still a
factor.  With the AHL franchise in trouble (no NHL sponsor) RPI could be
looking at some major revenue losses.  The Xmas Tournament looms ever larger
in their plans.

>Jayson also mentioned to me that they were considering getting a sponsor,
>and that could help in this area.  I don't think a move to the Knick would
>be possible without the combination of a sponsor and a commitment by some
>nationally recognized teams, however.

The problem is that Albany isn't home to many corporate fat cats.  GE is
notoriously tight fisted.  After that who's left: Albany International,
Freihofers, how about the stateworkers contributing sponsorship? :*)

>with Maine making an appearance.  It would also draw attention to the Knick
>as a site for other college hockey action (e.g. NC$$s).

I think the Knick would have more success starting their own tournament.  And
I know their marketing department considers college hockey extremely important
in the Knick's future--but then what choices do they have?  Such a move would
put pressure on RPI to consider moving over the Xmas Tournament--unless this
Maine deal really puts some life back in it.
                    _
            "NYS   // Hockey"
        Go 'Gate  //   Brian Morris
          Go RPI //      Albany, NY