Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 1992 09:26:13 EDT
I think it's interesting to note some comparisons between Dwayne
Norris and Scott Pellerin.  They both came to college from the same
team (Notre Dame Hounds) and began playing college hockey the same
year (1988-89), Pellerin for Maine and Norris for Michigan State.  (I
was the hockey SID at Michigan State as a graduate student that
season).  I saw the two play against each other when we played at
Maine that season, and again in March in the NCAA Tournament
consolation game.

During their college careers their teams faced wach other six times,
the Spartans winning four and Maine winning twice.

Below are each player's career stats:

Norris: 167GP, 110G-113A-223TP, 28PPG, 9SHG, 11GWG
Pellerin: 167GP, 106G-117A-223TP, 47PPG, 8SHG, 14GWG

I find it sort of (ironic, strange, funny) that they ended their
careers winning major awards (Norris, CCHA Player of the Year and
Pellerin, Hobey) that have been disputed as much as these have.

Yes, I'm a Michigan State grad (take that for what you think it's
worth).  But by most accounts, Norris was as valuable to MSU as
Felsner or Madeley was to Michigan or Lake Superior.  Statisitcally
speaking, Norris (IMHO) would appear to have been a more productive
player than Felsner in the special teams categories and in goal
scoring.  Felsner, of course a great player (who, I might add, helped
knock us --NMU-- out of the NCAAs), led the nation in overall
scoring and his accomplishments are not to be diminished.  I can see
a lot of argument for Felsner and or Madeley.  I just can't see any
against Norris.

Regarding the Hobey Baker, it was a shock to me and a lot of college
hockey people in the west that Pellerin was the winner.  THAT IS NOT
TO SAY HE WASN'T DESERVING!  But having been relatively involved in
the Hobey race with our players at NMU, I can honestly say that Scott
Pellerin's name was almost never mentioned to me as a possible winner
by media, coaches or players I talked to during the season.  An even
bigger surprise was LaPerriere of St. Lawrence finishing second in
the Hobey balloting.  Makes me wonder if were too provincial in the
west.  Maybe...

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Justin Doherty
NMU Asst. SID