From:
MJ Connors <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MJ Connors <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 11:35:53 -0400
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE   April 20, 2001
Contact: MJ Connors (401)
865-2202

CACCIOLA AND CARPENTIER TO ATTEND PROVIDENCE COLLEGE

         PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Providence College hockey coach Paul Pooley
today announced that student-athletes David Cacciola of Burlington, Mass.
and David Carpentier of Faribault, Minn. have accepted a written letter of
acceptance to attend Providence College beginning in September
2001.  Cacciola and Carpentier join Derek Allan (Davidson, Saskatchewan),
Chris Chaput (Pawtucket, R.I.), Eric Lundberg (Vernon, Conn.) and Jeff
Mason (Easthampton, Mass.) as new players on the 2000-01 Friar roster.
         "We are very excited to add David Cacciola and David Carpentier to
our hockey program," Pooley stated. "We feel that the addition of both
these players will help us to continue to improve."
         Cacciola, a 6-foot, 180-pound goaltender, recently completed his
senior year at St. Sebastian's School in Needham, Mass., were he led his
team to the 2000-01 New England Prep School Division I Championship.
Cacciola appeared in 27 games this season, posting a 25-1-1 record with a
1.25 goals against average and a .931 save percentage while recording 11
shutouts.  This season, Cacciola earned First Team All-NEPSIHA Golatender
honors, Most Valuable Player of the 2000-01 NEPSIHA playoffs and First Team
All-ISL accolades.  Cacciola is the son of David and Veronica Cacciola.
         "Cacciola's biggest attribute is his consistency, the bigger the
game the better he plays," Pooley said. "He moves well in net, he is
technically sound, square to the puck and he handles and plays the puck
exceptionally well. His work ethic, attitude and coachability will allow
him to become an important part of the team for the next four seasons."
         Carpentier, a 6-foot-1-inch, 190-pound defenseman, recently
finished his second season with the Cedar Rapids Roughriders of the United
States Hockey League.  This season, Carpentier registered 14 goals and nine
assists in 49 games for the Roughriders.  Carpentier, the team's assistant
captain, received the Roughrider Community Service Award and was the
recipient of the 2000-01 Roughrider Award given annually to the player who
best exemplifies what the organization was founded upon.  Carpentier is the
son of Steven and Deborah Carpentier.  Carpentier is a 1998 graduate of
Shattuck St. Mary's School in Faribault, Minn. were he earned Athlete of
the Year honors.
         "Carpentier is a leader and a worker," Pooley said. "He plays hard
every night, has very good hockey sense and wins the one-on-one battles,
which are so important in the game of hockey.  His knowledge of the game
and character will allow him to impact our line-up next season.  With the
entire incoming freshman class, we feel we have attracted top talent and
outstanding people, which will allow us to become one of the top programs
in college hockey."

Providence College Hockey Class of 2005
Derek Allan     F       6-1     190     Davidson, Sask./Nipawin Hawks
David Cacciola  G       6-0     180     Burlington, Mass./St. Sebastian's
David Carpentier        F       6-1     190     Faribault, Minn./Cedar
Rapids Roughriders
Chris Chaput    F       5-10    180     Pawtucket, R.I./New England Coyotes
Eric Lundberg   D       6-2     195     Vernon, Conn./New England Coyotes
Jeff Mason      D       5-11    180     East Hampton, Mass./New England Coyotes

-end-

M.J. Connors
Providence College
Sports Information