From:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 20:28:49 -0500
Lots of upcoming rulings will have an effect on UNO.
(Information is taken from the Omaha World-Herald, paraphrased)

*WCHA officials are meeting in Atlanta, and expected decide either Sunday or
Monday whether to put UNO's admittance for the 99-00 season on the ballot
for their meeting in April. Normally teams must compete for two years before
being voted on, but WCHA Commissioner Bruce McLeod hopes an exception can be
made for UNO because of the attendace(see $) and competitiveness of the team.

*UNO is hoping for an announcement within a month for an exemption much like
Mankato State's where they will be eligible for NCAA tournament play next
year. Normally teams are eligible in their third year, Mankato State was
able to get the appeal approved and are eligible in this, their second
season of Div I hockey.

*Omaha is hoping to host a NCAA regional in the year 2000. Omaha has one
thing other cities don't, a 50 year tradition of hosting the College World
Series, which may(hopefully ;-) ) help the bid.

*Omaha is also interested in hosting the Ice Breakers tournament within the
next couple of years, if not next year.

*with a 50/50 chance at best for a new Omaha arena (seating 14,000 for
hockey), we have at best a 50/50 chance of getting the NCAA Hockey Final
Four anytime soon. We'd probably get it if we do build it, 100% sure we
won't get it if we don't build it. (we can still get NCAA hockey regionals
though if we don't build it)

*Vic Sharma is rejoining the team after missing a couple of months after a
concussion.

*UNO is hoping to get a year of eligibilty restored for Tom Kowol. If it
isn't granted, he'll sit out the rest of this year so he can play 2 full years.

Ben F.
U!N!O! U!N!O!