From:
Kevin Ames <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 09:57:55 -0700
Published Monday, August 18, 1997

Minnesota scene: Woog provided beer for Gophers players

Gophers hockey coach Doug Woog confirmed Sunday that he has been put on
notice by athletic director Mark Dienhart for making beer available to
some of his players after games.

An internal investigation by Chris Schoemann, compliance coordinator for
the Gophers athletic department, revealed that players had been allowed
to drink beer on a few occasions, with Woog paying for the beverages.

Woog said the drinking did not involve any players under the legal
drinking age.

"Under different athletic directors I've served, we've had different
policies and no policies on making beer available to players," Woog
said. "It's been over a year that we've allowed any players to drink
beer in the presence of coaches. Dienhart's policy is no beer, and
that's my policy."

Wood said that no player has ever come close to becoming intoxicated
when beer was provided. And none of the underage players have ever drunk
any beer, Woog said.

Being put on notice means Woog's job could be in jeopardy if there are
any further violations.

Woog was suspended for a week last fall for giving $500 to former player
Chris McAlpine.

The investigation papers have been signed by university president Mark
Yudof and sent to the NCAA. No further punishment is expected because
the NCAA has been kept informed about the ongoing investigation.

-Sid Hartman
--
            \\\/////
            / ^   _ \