From:
"Jason W. Roy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason W. Roy
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 18:27:28 -0600
> as a Freshman which is still pretty high.  There was some talk of Eric
> Rassmussen in the running.  I don't recall any of the UM fans bringing up
> the criteria for the Hobey that they did last year when Brian Bonin
> won,(i.e.) gentlemanly play, fairness, leadership......I also think
> Rassmussen may have cost himself a figure by deciding to return instead of
> signing with Buffalo. I look for Buffalo to not offer him a contract and
> have him stay another year at Minnesota.

----I think Buffalo will sign Rasmussen and it would be in Rassmusens
best interest to sign.  If Ras plays out his college eligability it will
hurt him in the amount of money he signs for....He can use going back to
college and having a place to play as a bargaining chip when signing his
contract.  If he plays out his eligability he will be looking for a place
to play (ie AHL/IHL) and he won't get the same amount of money....I also
think  college hockey doesn't suit his style of play (nothing against the
NCAA)...but Ras should have played major junior.....he would be farther
ahead in his game right now....Its his type of game....harder hitting-in
your face hockey...and the refs let them play....I think you'll see Ras
wanting out after this year....He hasn't had that great of a year....He
showed in the World Junior tournament he can raise his level of
play.....I heard Muckler talking about him on our sporst network (TSN) up
here and I think they will  offer him a contract at the completion of the
college season.....(eg--I think Buffalo also did the same with Holzinger
and he joined the sabres for the Playoffs)......I think you'll see the
samething happen with Ras........

........Even though I don't like the Gophs...I think this Rassmussen kid
is going to be a good one........along the the likes of a Keith Tachuck
(sp)...
       JASON ROY                   *     *                CBC's
 UNIVERSITY OF MANITOBA             *   *         HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA
[log in to unmask]             * *         "The Tradition Continues"
         GO 21                        *
   GO TECH / GO CANADA               * *              Molson Canadian
        GO STARS                    *   *
      GO BILL BERG               ***     ***         The Tragically Hip
    A loose puck doesn't know who's....BigGeR, StRoNger, or DrAfTed hIgheR.
                       BUT IT KNOWS WHO GETS THERE FIRST.       (Bauer CANADA)