From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 19:49:34 -0400
At 11:25 AM -0500 1/16/97, Dan Olsen wrote:
> The proof is in the record that their hard work pays off.  In the past few
> years, Army has enjoyed success at many of the ECAC's and HEA's lower
>eschelon
> teams' expense.  Army has had victories or ties over Yale, Princeton,
>Cornell,
> RPI, Merrimack, NE, Union, Colgate, and Minnesota-Duluth.  This all coming
> from a team that shouldn't even compete with the D-I teams.

I don't know, I am certainly not going to put down Army, but while they
have had the occasional win or tie, it's going a bit far to say they have
"enjoyed success at many of the ECAC's and HEA's lower echelon teams'
expense."  Over the last five years, from 1992-93 through this year, Army
has gone 5-32-3 against teams from HE or the ECAC (including UMass's
Independent season).

But 3 of those 5 wins came last season, over RPI, Cornell, and Yale.  The
other wins were over RPI (1994) and Union (1992).  The ties: Cornell
(1997), Princeton (1996), and Union (1996).

Army was a respectable 3-6-1 against ECAC/HE last year, but is 0-7-2 this year.

On teams that Army has beaten or tied recently:

Colgate last failed to defeat Army on 11/10/90, a 3-3 tie that counted as
an ECAC game.  Colgate is 6-0-0 against the Cadets since that game.

Army has not defeated Merrimack in 12 years, going back to Merrimack's
DivII days.  Merrimack is 5-0-0 against Army since then, including a 9-2
win last year and a 5-1 win on Jan. 3.

Northeastern has only played Army once in the last 15 years, a 3-2 NU win
last season.  Army has not defeated or tied a HE team since 11/4/88, a 5-3
win over Lowell.

Again, none of this is to put down Army; I'm just setting the record
straight.  However, as the Army parents I know are aware, I have a great
respect for the work effort put in by the military schools and their
ability to be competitive given the restrictions they are under.  And a
number of the Army players are ones who would be a tremendous asset to any
DivI team.  Thus I am never surprised whenever Army has a good showing as
they apparently did against Colgate and Cornell last weekend.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****   (Part-Time) Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey  WCAP 980 AM    *****