Date:
Mon, 30 Dec 1996 14:08:35 -0700
[time for this current lurker to emerge from the walls]

I'm sure this discussion has gone around the block before, but what's the
deal with the "coverage" of college hockey this year on the 'net, and
especially here on Hockey-L?

I mean, did NOBODY *see* the BU-North Dakota games this weekend? Through
the list, USCHO and USA Today, I haven't seen any game recap anywhere,
except for Tony's report (which he gathereed by listening to the radio).

How about the CC-UNH matchup? Not even a single post to the list, except
for a two-sentence post stating what anyone could glean from a score
listing. As of Monday, 1pm mountain time, not even a box score could be
found on USCHO.

Or the fifth-longest game in NCAA history -- the 3 OT (presumably)
nail-biter between Cornell and Providence? At least this one made it to
USCHO, but NO comments on Hockey-L????

There has been a a small group of people that have been posting excellent
game recaps, opinions, and analyses of leagues and teams, and to those of
you that have been, I thank you very much.

Additionally, folks like Adam Wodon have added true depth to hockey on the
'net with his "Around the Rinks" (one of the few things thats *not* on
USCHO) series and postings to the list.

But where are the others? For those of you that have directed your efforts
to USCHO, why does it seem that you now favor USCHO over the list? I
understand that you want to see USCHO succeed, but what about your "roots"
here on Hockey-L and all the reasons the list was created?

[and a side note to the USCHO folk -- why does the "message board" exist?
Isn't that what Hockey-L is for?]

Admittedly, I'm a bit selfish when I say that I feel somewhat "abandoned"
by some of the members and moderators of Hockey-L that now focus on the
USCHO web site. It seems that nowadays the only time we hear from Mike or
Dave is when there is some silly flame war occuring, and they feel
compelled to step in and break up the fight.

Speaking of flame wars, will someone tell me what happened to Sean Pickett?
He used to be one of the most active members of this list... and now, nothing.

Last season it was nice to be able to check mail on a Sunday afternoon, and
read about the previous evening's games -- and then actually engage in
DISCUSSIONS about them. You know, asking questions, pointing fingers, you
name it. Now I need to roam around the net, checking the web (which, from
home is often PAINFULLY slow) -- and I'm still not finding what seemed to
be in abundance last year on Hockey-L.

Now before anyone jumps up and asks me "just what the heck have YOU done
for Hockey-L lately?" -- I'll tell you, I've done nothing, which doesn't
make me any better than others out there. Then again, I've only been able
to see ONE game in person (Northeastern vs. BU in October), and was unable
to get near a computer. I've seen only one game on TV -- the Denver Cup
(Denver/Yale), and that was in a bar. You know, no volume, screen to small
and far to make out names, begging the bartender to keep the NASCAR race
off the screen and leave the hockey on).

Believe me, the second I get a dish I'll be active again.

For that matter, a number of you will remember last year that I was also
the cause of quite a few flame wars (remember Junior College players vs.
High School? 22-year-old freshmen versus 17-year olds? Why BU Always Blows
The Big Games?).

So again, I apologize for being selfish, but I do sincerely feel that
Hockey-L has been hit hard this year, and hope that this changes in 1997.

greenie

S P O O N ! !
(go BU)