From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 7 Dec 1996 07:59:35 -0700
On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, David M Weinberg wrote:

> I find it intresting that both goalies play in Major Junior and that last
> years backup, former WMU goalie Mark Margliardity, didn't make the team
> when according to my Hockey News he has better stats then either of the
> two goalies who did make the team.

I have no comment on the relative merits of the goalies in question.
However, comparing stats of college hockey and Jr. goalies is an
apples/oranges thing, and I'm *not* trying to start a thread on the
relative merits of each.  There are other issues than stats which even
within the same league can reflect the defensive style of a team (or lack
of one) rather than reflect the abilities of a goaltender.

One big difference between college hockey and juniors is the number of
games played with juniors playing about twice as many games.  The World
Junior tournament features many games played in a condensed period of time
which may give an advantage to junior goaltenders who are used to playing
a lot, particularly if one goaltender ends up chosen to play all the
games.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the tournament which is my favourite
hockey of the year.

Just a thought,

Arthur Berman [log in to unmask]