From:
John-Andrew Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John-Andrew Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 1996 11:33:13 EST
I apologize for taking up bandwith with this post, but there seems to be
considerable interest in what schools made it to this list versus which
schools did not.

As far as I know, the Gourman Report is not the definitive report. (I think
I might be contradicting myself here.) This means two things: 1) It is not
comprehensive and covers major programs as listed in 1992, some programs have
been added since; and 2) There are other reports that do list other programs.
This was the one I happened to browse through during my Reference Shift.
There are literally dozens of polls and ratings to go through. The Gourman
is reputable, but has problems, as well. In some cases I don't agree with
the report, (music schools,for example), while in others it seems accurate.
(Zoology)

Now, it should also be remembered for anybody out there seeking a school with
a certain program that things change quickly. And undergraduate programs are
more difficult to rate than graduate programs. This is due to many larger
universities having perhaps larger endowments and facilities, but often having
classes taught by Grad. Assistants rather than full faculty. Graduate programs
are generally smaller than undergraduate and much more specialized. It is
always possible to earn a graduate degree in something completely different
than one's undergraduate degree.

I've received a lot of mail regarding "The List". All I have to say is this:
Your school may not have made the Gourman Report, but if it has a program it's
bound to be found in another report. It's best to compare reports. But nothing
beats visiting the campus personally, and meeting with alumni, current students
faculty, staff and seeing the facilities.

Peace,
John-Andrew Murphy
Fredonia State - 1993
Coordinator