From:
Tom McArdle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom McArdle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 00:42:28 -0500
-- [ From: Tom McArdle * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

>To:   Hockey-L    \ Internet:    ([log in to unmask])

>Two totally different topics: 1.  Ticket prices.
>        Frequently on this list we hear about how some want the game of
college hockey to grow.  Some want >to see the sport get more respect, more
TV coverage and more fans.  I heard something on the news last >night that
made me wonder if that was such a good idea. The same story was also
reported in the Boston >Globe today.  Apparently, the NCAA give each school
in the Final Four (basketball) an allotment of 2,500 >tickets plus 500 hotel
rooms. Thus, the schools, except Kentucky, are packaging the tickets.
>Sara
>SLU '77
>Let's go SAINTS!                Let's go CATS!!!

     Sara, I had to comment on the Kentucky ticket program.  Students were
lined up for hours to get 1 ticket
each at the Lexington campus.  Instead of getting tickets, they got a
voucher, good at the door for a ticket to
the game(s) at the Meadowlands.  Once they get in, they can't go out to
resell the ticket as it will have been
'used' to enter the arena.  Prior to the voucher program being announced,
offers as high as $8,000 for the
student tickets were reported on local sportscasts.  KY newspaper ads'
offered packages at $1,900 for those
 with their own tickets and $4,495 including tickets, per person!
     I hope college hockey grows, but if prices ever get as high as
basketball we may rue the day we wished
for parity with that other winter sport.  18,000 seats for a hockey final
seems about right, but could you think
of the view you would have if the Hockey finals were held in a domed
superstadium?
     The game is doing OK right now, (UIC excepted).  Next years Frozen 4
tickets will be hard to get if Milwaukee sells out as early as it did  for
the 93 finals.  Seat offers were promised to fans that bought packages to
all 3 college hockey events in 95-96 (College Hockey Showcase, Badger
Showdown, WCHA Finals). If you hope to go to next years bash, I recommend
that you get your orders in early!

Tom,   a thawed-out Badger in the bluegrss state

"It's a great day for hockey"  Badger Bob Johnson