From:
"Barkan, Jon" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barkan, Jon
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 1996 13:10:00 PST
I am amazed at this discussion and at the comments below.
Pete Seeger, the folk singer, likes to say:
     Think globally, act locally.
Do your good deed, whatever it is, no matter how small, but do something. If
we all did one small thing, how much better a world would it be?
If  your "thing" is making a donation to Travis Roy, then that is a good
thing.
If your "thing" is providing food for one starving child, then that is a
good thing.
But who is to judge, Dave?
You?
Think globally, Dave. Locally is your business. And mine. And the other good
folks on this list, no matter for whom or to what they give.
Making comparisons about the greater good isn't anyone's place, at least not
on this Earth.
And Dave: Please don't e-mail me privately. I don't want to hear it, and I
certainly don't want to be judged by you.
GEEEZ.
(Obligatory hockey content: I am sad for the end of Michigan State's hockey
season.)
Steve Klein
 ----------
Dave Josselyn wrote:
Yes, that is true-- and it is my point as well. Hundreds with spinal
injuries. Is this really a priority? Third World children are starving,
hundreds of thousands are killed each year in automobile accidents in
this country, and so on. The comparison someone else made to Christopher
Reeve is telling-- they were both engaged in expensive hobbies that carry
risks for serious injuries. And they are both heralded as heroes-- for
what? For television appearances?

And that's where the perspective is lost (and why I won't post another
reply back to hockey-l after this). There are better places to throw
money like that to. TR is alive, has clothing, food, and shelter and a
family who loves him. He's way ahead of the game compared to many. Is it
good he will receive some protection from being gouged by the medical
community? Yes. But it should end there-- both the money and the
misplaced adulation.