From:
Adam Bryant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Bryant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 1996 15:57:30 -0500
On Fri, 15 Mar 1996, Kevin L Ames wrote:

> Everyday in this country someone is paralyzed.  It is sad to see that just
> because one of them happens do be an athlete, a college one at that, that he
> recieves national recognition and thus more donor money.  The story is
> sad... but it is now a human issue rather than a hockey issue.  There are
> many many handicapped people who need monitary assistance as much as Travis
> Roy, but do to his athlete nature and the national attention he is being
> exposed to his pockets will be jingling.

You have a good point, but funding and charity for people who have
such injuries is bad enough that you don't want to discourage people from
giving to even one such person.  Even if that person is, in your
opinion (not mine), getting too much attention.

I suspect that if Travis gets more funds than he needs (which would be
quite a bit) that those extra fund will go to others who need it.  Funds
like this start out for a single focus, but they can end up growing
beyond that initial focus as well.

Travis has already talked about how he wants to help others in similar
situations, from what he has done so far he has been an inspiration to
many others.

Again, fundrasing to cover such medical bills and care is hard enough to
come by, as you've mentioned, and it would be nice if Travis hadn't
needed to raise money, if we lived in a world where such care was a
given.  But, we don't, and he and others still need the charity... I see
no reason to begrudge it, even if it needs to be redistributed later on
for others to benefit as well.

adam
ps. At the Fleece Center:
      Friday - Loge 4, Row 9, Seat 9
      Saturday - Log 9B, Row 21, Seat 9
--
Adam Bryant                            List Administrator, High School Hockey
[log in to unmask]                      to join: [log in to unmask]