From:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 17:18:25 -0900
I certainly don't mean this as any kind of slight to the WCHA, but I =
sincerely hope UAF does not join UAA in the WCHA.  I know we're new =
members, but we've played long enough in the conference and seen enough =
of the teams that I feel like we're where we belong and feel like a part =
of the conference.  I will grant that the intra-state rivalry for the =
two Alaska schools isn't what it was, but I don't care to revive the bad =
feelings that resulted from playing each other as many as 8 times a =
year.  It's good to have a hockey identity separate from UAA as well.  =
Besides neither conference would take both teams at the same time in the =
past when we applied simultaneously.  Why would either want to now?  It =
would also take away some of the uniqueness of having one Alaskan school =
in a conference.

Maybe there are practical reasons, although I'm not sure what they would =
be.  Perhaps if we were in the same conference the visiting school could =
play two two-games series during the trip, but unless they are gone for =
over a week that's four games in a very short period of time.  Travel =
costs aren't going to be any smaller if every team still has to make a =
trip to Alaska and we both still have to go on road trips outside.

One other important point, if UAF moved to the WCHA at least five CCHA =
teams would lose the three extra inter-conference games they got to play =
this season thanks to coming to Alaska.  This year Notre Dame, Bowling =
Green, Illinois-Chicago, Michigan State, and Western Michigan would have =
been allowed three fewer inter-conference games.  Think those games =
don't help?  Maine and Lake Superior won championships the years they =
came up and played three games in 1992-1993 and 1993-1994.

Anyway, I hope we stay put.  I like seeing the teams we've seen over the =
last five years.  It's been really great.  If it has to happen, I hope =
it will be for better reasons than what I've seen so far.

Eric Carlson
UAF '78, 9th place, but in the CCHA!