From:
Dave Aiello <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Aiello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 1996 16:59:20 -0500
>This same situation happened at the RPI, er, Rensselaer tournament. One
>of the officials was injured during the Providence-RPI game in the
>first period and was unable to continue the game. The linesman went
>into the locker room and returned with orange stripes on his sleeves.
>They stuck with 2 refs and no lineman. I'm not sure if they'll do this
>for conference play or for special situations, but that's what happened.
>
>I think it would be more sensible for them to go to a 2-ref system. The
>linesman is not as critical as a referee, so why not go with two refs?

See my previous post.  In the NCAA, they can do that.

The reason this confuses some people is because the USA Hockey rules call
for the one-referee, one-linesman system (with no alternative) if one
official gets injured in the three man system.  I think the NHL is the
same.

Given the numerous problems with the two-referee, one-linesman system, I
would suggest:

1) the NCAA returned to one-referee, two-linesman system
2) USA Hockey allowed us to go to the two-referee system if one is
injured in the 3-man
3) the NHL stayed the same, since an injury situation is so rare in that
league

Dave Aiello
Chatham Township Data Corporation
31 Birchwood Road