From:
Kurt Stutt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kurt Stutt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 23:51:11 GMT
[log in to unmask] (Ralph N. Baer) wrote:

> I don't remember when
>I first saw the four-sided scoreboard, but now that I think about it,
>perhaps it was removed when the Field House was renovated.

The center scoreboard was removed when the Field House was renovated.
That's when the end scoreboards were first used.

>It is also possible that because so
>many poles were removed at that time, that ceiling was no longer capable of
>holding the weight of the scoreboard at center ice.

I believe this is true.  When the renovation occurred, the entire roof
was redone.  Formerly, it was an arch-style roof, like you see on the
front facade of the building.  Right now, it is a flat roof (I've been
up there).  Having spent a great deal of time near the roof, I don't
believe it is capable of holding a center-ice scoreboard.  However, it
is possible they decided against the center scoreboard because of
viewing problems.  It would have to hang quite low to be seen from the
back rows, too low in my opinion, so they may have opted to go for
better viewing with the two scoreboards, one at each end.

Kurt Stutt