From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 18 Feb 1995 05:12:57 -0500
>This is certainly quite interesting. Does anyone really think that
>Herlofsky is a 'horrible' goalie?

I can't say that I do, because I have never seen him live.

>Based on the miraculous performance
>he gave in the Beanpot finals, I can't agree with this perserverance
>thing.

Well, the stats that I have seen only include his conference games. So I
can't say for sure whether he is better when playing out-of-conference
foes. If someone were to give me his overall minutes played, saves and
goals allowed, I would be able to say what his overall perserverance rating
would be. As well, you can't judge how good a goalie, or any player, is
just on one game. The Beanpot final may have been an aberration. I don't
know.

>I didn't quite comprehend all of the logistics of the formula,
>but it seems a little suspect. Herlofsky is an incredible goaltender.
>Considering that I am BC all the way through, you know I mean it.

As I said above, I've never seen Herlofsky play, so I can't pass final
judgement on him. I can, however, tell you why his Perserverence Rating
is so low. Basically, while he has a great GAA (3.14), his save% is very
ordinary (84.72%). All the other goaltenders mentioned in the top 9 have
save% from 87-90%. He also faces an average of only 20 shots per game,
while most of the others listed are facing 29-33 shots per game.

One other thing, while I'm thinking about it. The fact that empty net minutes
are counted separately will raise a goalie's GAA and his perseverence rating.

See you later,
John

--
John C.K. Edwards        Stats Geek, Ottawa Jr Senators (23-22-3 51pts) (CJHL)
Carleton U., Law IV                   I don't give a damn about being liked,