From:
Kurt Stutt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kurt Stutt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jan 1995 07:37:07 GMT
Commentary on Vermont vs. RPI  (1/27/95)

Final Score:  Vermont 6  RPI 1

If you are a Vermont fan, this game could have been very bad.  If you
are an RPI fan, it was.  I'm still under the influence of the beers I had
following the game, so I am still in the mood (in a way) to write
some notes about this game.

This was a 0-0 game for the first 30+ minutes.

Then Vermont gained an advantage.  The way the game was going, it
was to be a 0-0 score until overtime.  But, the Catamounts got their
act together and took a lead.  Then increased it.  Then a little more.
Eleven seconds into the third, it was 3-0.  After Perrin scored the
third goal, Askew cross-checked him.  I did not see the play.
However, the referee awarded Askew a 5 minute major, and the
spotters for WRPI did not disagree, so I tend to believe it was
warranted.  On the 5 minute power play, Vermont scored two more
to make it 5-0.

In my opinion, the game turned on two events:

1.  Vermont woke up sooner.

2.  Vermont took advantage of a childish RPI mistake.

By the time these events ran their course, it was 5-0 Vermont, en
route to a 6-1 Catamount win.

Vermont played well both ways.  The Ruid-Perrin-St. Louis line is
fantastic.  Solid defense in their own zone.  I have difficulty believing
they lost their last 4 games, all at home, no less.

The RPI offense was not in the building.  Mesmerized by the OJ
trial, or something.  The defense wasn't that sharp, either.

To give some perspective, we at WRPI award three stars to the RPI
players who performed the best each game.  For tonight, the three stars
were:

#3  Brian Tapper

     He scored the only Engineer goal.

#2  Chris Aldous

    He's the only regular who didn't dress.

#1  Brian Mack

    He's a friend of tonight's statistician, Jeff Casello.  Brian just
stood on the catwalk all night.  Has no connection with RPI
whatsoever.

You can tell from this just how poorly the Engineers played.

Vermont played a good second 30 minutes.  The first 30 were
nothing spectacular, but tonight, 30 good minutes were all that was
needed.

Kurt Stutt