From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 1994 14:04:42 EDT
Debbie writes:

>On a semi-related matter:  Is the rationale for Elmira moving to Div1
>primarily based on the seating capacity of their arena and their ability
>to draw large crowds?  I seem to remember discussion about the potential
>for that move at the end of last season but, since I deleted all those
>messages, I don't remember what other elements supported that move.

Elmira has been referred to on occasion as "that Division III team with the
Division I rink", and it's true that the Murray Center seating capacity of
over 3500 compares favorably with some Division I arenas.  I posted an
article at the end of last season that speculated on whether the Soaring
Eagles should or would consider moving up, and one of the factors cited was
the extra $$$ that would be made by playing a big-time (Div. I) schedule and
selling the place out every game.  Elmira does get sellouts for their bigger
rivals like RIT, Mercyhurst, and Plattsburgh, but then they have games
against the likes of Scranton (well, thankfully, not any more) where they
might get 200 fans if they're lucky.

I'm not in contact with the Elmira athletic department, so I can't really
speak for them, but I think it is safe to say that they have less than zero
interest in moving to Division I at this point.  Athletic director Pat
Thompson and head coach Glenn Thomaris have both all but said that they like
the status quo (with Elmira being a perennial power in Division III) too
much to consider going to a Division I schedule and the tough times that
would bring.  And their performance against Division I competition in recent
times hasn't given much encouragement.  The Soaring Eagles had a memorable
upset win over Clarkson back in 1988, but since then, they've scheduled a
dozen or so games against Division I competition and have only an overtime
win over Army three years ago and a tie against Alaska-Fairbanks last
November to show for it.

While I'm happy to see them continue to test themselves against Division I
teams, I doubt very much that the Soaring Eagles are thinking about giving
up their "big fish" status in Division III, spending the money it takes to
upgrade a program, and then getting stomped by Division I teams for some
time while they try to catch up recruiting-wise (see Union's first two
seasons in the ECAC).  Though I will admit, the incredible shrinking ECAC
West (five teams next season, down from 16 or 17 a few years ago) might make
Elmira reconsider.
--
Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '94.5