From:
Tom Tseng <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Tseng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jun 1994 13:21:15 -0400
 New SAT scores
For those of you who are interested in the debate of academics, admissions, and
recruiting, the following was reported in the New York Times on Saturday, June
11 (a colleague brought the article to my attention this morning):

Starting in April 1995, the College Board, which administers SAT exams, will
"re-center" the scores of the SAT.  The low score is still 200 and the high
800, but  the average score (in math and verbal) will be reset to 500 as it was
in 1941.  Therefore, a student who scored 430 under the current scheme will
receive a score of 510 for answering correctly (and incorrectly) the same
number of questions.

Keep in mind that the revised SAT (now called SAT I) was introduced this
spring.  The new scoring method will affect incoming high school juniors who
take the SAT I next spring.  The College Board promised to send plenty of
materials to colleges, alerting them to the change.

Tom S. Tseng
Cornell '87 MEng '94 (yes, it's official; I graduated.)