From:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 1994 23:45:30 GMT
That's right folks. The NCAA will not come to the Knick again.
Why not? These are based on my personal experiences and conversations
with others.  I realize that we are in the middle of Final Four
week, but I think this is something I must get off of my chest.

The reasons why:

1) Let's start from the media standpoint.  As a member of the media,
I will start with the bitching now:
The accomadations for the reporters and radio crews were horrendous.
They seemed to forget a press box was needed in the Knick so they "made"
one out of a section.
The refreshements and such for the media were horrendous.
This may sound like a member of the media griping, but it is not.  Granted
there shouldn't be a 5 star meal or food or drink, but fried grease and
popcorn?
Also, they punched your pass each night so you would not receive a
second helping in line. Huh?
There was no easy way to the press interview area. You had to go through the
crowd to reach it.
The Knick crew actually dumped our broadcast line twice. How they
got to the line in the first place is beyond me. You do not take something
which you do not know what it is to examine something else you think might be
wrong. Twice even!
Who was running the show? Was it RPI or was it the Knick?  Or rental of the
phone line was not paid for because no one knew who was collecting the checks.
Alienation of the sportswriters from around the country.
A row in the press box was labeled "Capital District Media Only", and there
was NO assigned seating at all. First come, first serve.
The interview area was between two receptions in the Knick. How do you listen
to people talk when you have parties going on on both sides? Besides that
the only separation was a curtain, so people are poking their heads in
and yelling at things.
As a member of the press you could only enter through ONE entrance in the
entire building. Huh? You mean I can';t come in through the doors on top?

Overall the treatment of the media was shabby, and neglectful. As someone
mentioned, no one will ever write about this because it will just look
like the media is complaining like they always do. Believe me, it is a
legitimate gripe, and when you treat a new York Times or Boston Globe
reporter like that, they will remember it.

2) The fan standpoint.
No reentry policy? Is this a obvious mood on the side of greed for the
concessionaires? Where will you go to eat besides the $2.50 COLD and SOGGY
hot dog?  It is real tough to hear the PA on one side of the ice. Did
any notice that all the speakers ar on one side of the building, so that
one side of the arena is A LOT louder than the other?
The walkways are just horrendous.  How many people got caught in the
lobbies coming back from the bathroom or getting food to find a logjam?
The attendance was horrendous.  The announced attendances of 10,000+ and 9,000+
were just PAID attendance. You can not tell me ther wer that many people in
the building.  People don't care about college hockey in Albany.
Was everyone else sick and tired of hearing about also-ran Siena in the
papers? As a fan of College Hockey I was sick to my stomach.

3) The town of Albany.
Sure the Sports Foundation got everyone to put banners up and everything
else like that, but I think someone also mentioned it, why did Ben & Jerry's
in DOWNTOWN ALBANY close at 5PM on Saturday evening?  Face it the town does
not support it, and even the merchants when faced with a great opportunity
for moneymaking do not go with the flow, something is wrong.  Yes, it was
a nice touch having everyone wear Alabny welcomes the NCAA, but did anybody
else feel like it wasn;'t a sincere gesture?
The Sports FOundation is nowhere to be found during the 4 games.
Also, the Sports FOundation reception on Thursday evening drew NO ONE that
could possibly be influential in the NCAA decisions.  I do not believe I
saw Phil Buttafuoco there (the AA for the President of the NCAA), and the
others were just team staff and media, as well as boosters.
The obvious slant towards basketball in this town.  Full page ads wishing the
Siena Saints good luck in the playoffs in all the papers. A quarter page ad
in the Troy Record wishing RPI luck in the playoffs. Big difference huh?

Dispute me if you want. But these are just some of the observations I have
seen and wished to comment upon. Please feel free to make your opinions
known as well.

To sum it up:
If I were part of the decision making process, I wouldn't come back to
Albany again.

*  Jayson Moy RPI '89 '93       * One of the Voices of Rensselaer Engineer    *
*  [log in to unmask]                 * Hockey, Baseball, Football, and Basketball  *
*  The "J Man"                  * on Crystal Clear FM Radio, 91.5FM WRPI, Troy*