Sender:
From:
Brian William Whalen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 1994 21:43:43 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
CHARLES F. O'BRIEN <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>        I suppose by now we have all read enough about Jacques Joubert.
>I want to comment briefly on those postings that have implied that there are
>few or no limits to negative cheering.
>        What Joubert did was wrong; however, the fan addressed Joubert's
>person, not his play.  Many, many court decisions, etc. have established
>that some verbal attacks constitute assault.  On this ground, we ban racial
>slurs.  Surely no one thinks fans can taunt a player over his ethnic
>background.  Joubert has a French name; is it O.K. to use one of the many
>derogatory words the English language has for French people?  Clearly not.
>Except for the fact that he is 11 years old (information not available to
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Joubert at the time), this fan was as far out of bounds as Joubert. BTW,
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>courts also have held that so-called "fighting words" may constitute
>sufficient provocation for physical retaliation.

I have to wonder.  Does Patrick look 11?  The point may seem moot but
if the kid does look 18 or whatever acceptable retaliation age you
choose then Joubert's action doesn't seem nearly as significant.  The
way I pictured it in my minds eye was this little, snot nosed kid
making a joke suitable for that age and Joubert retaliating against
a CHILD he should have ignored.  (enough run-ons for you? :)

IMHO, Joubert should have been a big boy and ignored it BUT the kid
should get a good reprimand from his parents.

my $.01 (only half a thought)

--
|  Brian Whalen       Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    [log in to unmask]   |
|                "What?  Is man merely a mistake of God's?                 |