Sender:
From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1993 01:17:13 EST
Ryan Robbins said:
>University of Maine head coach Shawn Walsh said Friday he knew
>Maine defenseman Jeff Tory might have trouble with NCAA academ-
>ic requirements since last year.

Then why did Coach Walsh keep recruiting him?

>In Saturday's Bangor Daily News, Walsh is reported to have ack-
>nowledged he knew Northern Michigan and Alaska-Fairbanks had
>stopped recruiting Tory when they discovered Tory might be in-
>eligible his freshman year.

Wouldn't that set off alarm bells in someone's head? Two schools don't just
suddenly stop recruiting someone for no reason.

>Walsh said that while he knew Tory had been rejected by two
>schools, he didn't bring the rejections to the attention of ad-
>missions officials at Maine or the athletic department's NCAA
>compliance officer, Woody Carville. Carville said if he had
>known about the rejections, he would have checked with the NCAA
>office.
>
>Walsh said it's standard procedure for him not to mention po-
>tential problems about players who are being recruited - even
>if the players are accepted at Maine.
>[...]

Hmm, so you have a player that is a possible academic problem, and you don't
tell your admissions officials or your compliance officer? It seems to me that
you are asking for trouble if you do that.

>Walsh believes Tory is eligible and said he stands behind his
>and Carville's interpretations of the NCAA academic requirements.

If what I undersand is correct. Tory's Ps were not from pass/fail courses, but
were actually bare passes in normal courses. What that means is that those
were marks from 50-59%. I have to ask why Maine would recruit someone with
marks that bad. I can't think of ANYWHERE that would admit someone with marks
in the 50s. Even the University that I am at, which prides itself on an open-
door admissions policy, requires a 60% average for admission. I can see some
allowances being made for athletes, but this is way over the line, IMHO.

I think the NCAA would have to rule Tory ineligible, or else they would be
quite unfair to students who are not from British Columbia. As I have said
before, B.C. does not use D's. That means that there is no way someone can get
an average below 1.67. If the NCAA lets him play, then this could go to silly
extremes. What if a school system only went from A+ to B-? Does this mean that
anyone from there would be guaranteed of having a 2.67? Come on.

While I'm here, what was his Junior A team doing? Were they making some sort
of effort to get him to go to school and do well, or did they just care about
what he was doing on the ice?

See you later,
John

--
John C.K. Edwards       ONLY _14_ DAYS UNTIL I GO HOME!!!! :-) :-) (Dec.19)
Poli Sci/Law III      GO CATS GO!!! (9-19)     TOUCHDOWN SEAHAWKS!!!!! (5-6)