Sender:
From:
Kirstin Mathers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1993 09:58:36 -0500
> And Petrie is still an unknown commodity.  At the moment he
> looks like God's gift to goaltending, but all one has to say is Angelo
> Libertucci...

Amen to that. In the fours years I was at BG he went from being a
goaltending machine to bench-warmer. We in the stands used to let
out a collective groan when Libertucci was put in the goal. Last year,
his senior year, he hardly ever played -- Aaron Ellis spent the most
time in the goal for BG. A pathetic end to his pathetic senior year
came at the last home game of the season, senior appreciation day.
Angelo started the game - his first in who knows how long - and did
very poorly. The sad part was that every one of us in the stands
knew the only reason Coach York started him instead of Aaron was
because his parents had traveled from Canada to see him play. I've
gotten off the subject -- one can only hope that Petrie does not follow
in Libertucci's footsteps.

> I also took a cheap shot at departing senior Brett Harkins, saying the
> team's work ethic would improve with his departure.

You are probably correct. From everything I heard while I was at BG
from people who knew him, he kind of thought he was better than
everyone else. I can't imagine that his attitude was any better on the
ice. I always wondered why he was the team captain. He played around
with the puck entirely too much, often costing the team the chance to
score. I never thought he was anything special, but then, who am I?? :-)

>   2.-3. Petrie is shining in goal and the team defensive scheme seems
> to be solid.  Breakdowns amid the defensemen or their freshmen
> goaltender would hurt this team, but at the moment they are the
> toughest to crack in the CCHA.  The only way to tell if they can
> sustain this for 40 games is to wait and see.

If everyone stays healthy, I'm voting that they can sustain their success.
The team was "on the brink" last year. They lost a lot of close games that
could be chalked up to inexperience. Perhaps this can turn into another
season like 1984. . .

Kirstin
BGSU '93

Kirstin Mathers