Sender:
From:
Geoffrey A Horvath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1993 23:39:25 -0500
    I am curious as to any opinion on why Bowling Green has received such
shoddy treatment from pollsters after having quite a bit of early season
success.  On any of the four or five polls I have seen and will see posted
after this weekends action,  Bowling Green ranks approximately fifth, and is
generally placed one or two slots behind Lake Superior even though Bowling
Green came up with a victory in the team's one head to head matchup this
season.
    This wouldnt really disturb me so much if it doesnt seem to be a recurring
trend in the college hockey polls as far as CCHA upstarts go.  If my memory
serves me, when Miami began its run at a very successful CCHA season last year,
they received similar poor treatment at the hands of the pollsters.  Only after
quite a few weeks did people realize that perhaps they were actually a quality
hockey team.
    Bowling Green might be a quick-starter,  but with a victory over Lake
Superior, and a tie with Michigan, the current #1, shouldnt they get a little
more credit?  I would welcome any input from anyone(John H.?) who has seen them
play as to how good they actually might be.  I myself am looking forward to
Saturday night, when I will see them take on Michigan State.  Then I can judge
them first-hand, and maybe my question will answer itself...

                                                    Geoff Horvath
                                                    Michigan State University