Sender:
From:
S Christopher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 1993 16:10:58 EST
Tim Weiss noted, in part:

> Jeremy's post concerning PSU's involvement in the ACHA could give the
> wrong impression about the role of football in other sports at PSU.
> First of all, let's make one thing clear.  Joe Paterno is NOT the AD
> at Penn State.  The position of AD is held by Jim Tarman, who in my opinion
> is the greatest obstacle to the Icers going Div. I.  It is well known at
> Penn State that Tarman does not like ice hockey and has not given his
> support to many attempts to improve the program.  To say that Joe Paterno

I've been wondering if Tarman were still the Penn State AD.  I'm an alum
of the Nittany Lions (PhD '69), and KNEW Tarman, slightly. Back then he
was the (probably assistant) sports information director.  I was quite
amazed a number of years later when I read somwhere that he was then the
AD.  This must be extremely unusual--anywhere else have AD's that
haven't been coaches previously?

On another point in Tim's message, I have to say a loud "ditto!" to his
complimentary remarks about Joe Paterno.  He has been incredibly
supportive of both the academic and other (i.e. nonfootball) athletic
programs of the University.  If there's a good reason for the Lions to
go to a more advanced standing in ice hockey, I'll bet he'll be as
supportive of the icers as he is of all the other programs.  I do have
to say, however, that Paterno's influence in Happy Valley is almost
impossible to overestimate--given that, I have to believe that if he
thought escalating the hockey program were a good idea, it would happen!
Maybe Jeremy and his friends at PSU need to get "Our Joe's" ear!

One more win (tonight?) for home ice in the WCHA 1st round playoffs!

 *  Steve Christopher, NMU  [log in to unmask]             * * * *    *
 *  NCAA Division I Hockey National Champions  1990-91   *   GO   *   *
 *  NCAA Division I Hockey Final Eight 1991-92           *        *
 *  WCHA League Champions 1990-91                        * 'CATS! *   *
 *  WCHA Playoff Champions 1988-89/1990-91/1991-92 . . .   * * * *    *