Sender:
From:
"Brian Cavanaugh @ Koessler Athletics" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1993 18:53:54 -0500
It seems to me that Jeremy and many of you are thinking
that if Penn State goes varsity that they have to make the BIG
JUMP to a major D-I level. From club to a CCHA is a huge
jump in a lot of areas - many of which need $$$$$$$ -
recruiting,scholarships, travel, etc. etc. etc. -
probably a budget in the neighborhood of 750,000.00
to survive the CCHA.

A logical step would be to gain varsity status first.
THEN, play in the ECAC WEST, SOUTH, whatever.
They can do this as we do and St. Bona's - as was mentioned.
They would not be eligible for NCAA post season play.
The benefit would be  "VARSITY" label and possibly
getting a more challanging schedule including
some of the FEW remaining D - I teams (Army, Air
Force) and D-II programs (Univ. Alabama, AIC,
Mercyhurst) and some new programs - like the
Amherst/Mass. team that's in the works.

If you survive this and go 34-0 - win an ECAC
championship a couple times then maybe the school
would consider a FULL upgrade to a CCHA ?????
IMHO - does'nt this sound like sense ????

Right now Penn State is a great club program but
winning against other club programs - that are
of questionable strength.  I remember the days
when Canisius won some ICHL club championships
and it was fun and our teams were pretty good
BUT it was club and not as strong as the teams
we face now.

Brian Cavanaugh
Canisius College