Sender:
From:
"Brian Cavanaugh @ Koessler Athletics" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1993 11:57:48 -0500
1. To Craig Cheslog - Could you give me some insight as to
   why the ECAC chose Bowdoin as the final 4 site this weekend ???
   They were seeded 8th ???  Why not Salem St (#7) .  I guess
   Williams was not "central" enough and U.Conn's partially
   enclosed facility hurt their chances. I not saying it was
   a good decision but I have not been to Bowdoin.  How big
   is the rink ?? Will they sell out ??? How far is it from
   the other 3 schools ???  How many students live on campus ?
   I know they have a great tradition there and by knocking off
   Middlebury the #1 seed (quite an upset) it's  "neat"
   that they now get to host - and probably very exciting
   there, around the campus.

2. RE: PENN STATE HOCKEY
   First, my congratulations to JOE Battista - a good friend
   and a hard worker in all aspects of the game.  Second,
   it's a shame that Coach Paterno is the A.D. - Why ????
   Well the hockey program could go varsity - FIRST .
   Then, they could join ECAC (WEST - WE'D LET EM IN) or
   South, whatever.  The could become adjunct members
   of one of the ECAC (non D- I) divisions and play
   at least at the varsity level. Right now those
   of us are reluctant to schedule them because they
   are "club". NOT because they are good, less than,
   more than - only because varsity teams generally
   avoid playing club teams.  A fist step is going varsity
   and NOT trying to jump right into a D-I situation.
   The rink and set up they have right now is as good or
   better than a lot of us at the ECAC E,W, N, C, S,
   Divisions.  My advice to Penn State (as is to Buffalo
   State) - both schools are club and have rinks on
   campus. Both schools are using money as the excuse
   for why they are NOT going varsity.  Have your students
   as a body get behind a petition to go varsity.
   The administration will listen to the students -
   if enough petition "loudly" in an organized
   fashion - they will listen.