Sender:
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 23:22:32 -0600
From:
"Hampton, Nathan E." <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
I have never said anything good about the Minnesota Gopher hockey team (mainly Doug Woog) in the past, mainly because I felt they deserved nothing good. But now things have changed:
"Coach Don Lucia let Welch go after grades posted Friday indicated he
would not maintain his eligibility. Lucia said there is a very slim chance
Welch could fulfill his academic contract, but the possibility is so remote
he chose to cut him immediately."

This is not the first time Lucia has taken a hard line on academics, and given his profession as a college coach, I applaud him and his team for all he has done to classify academics above athletics. At an University riddled with scholar-athlete problems in the past, his spotlight on academic integrity may set an example all can follow. Is not Lucia the leading candidate for the Spencer Penrose National Coach of the Year award?

Nathan Hampton