Sender:
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 19:08:26 CST6CDT
From:
"ERICA M. CRISSINGER" <[log in to unmask]>
Speaking of UAA:

  I'm from the Anchorage area, actually a little up north of
Anchorage...But I feel that everyone keeps saying bad things about
the school and their mascots. The saewolf is a mythical character,
but that's it.

As for someone remark about if there is any hockey players left in
Alaska..Why yes there are hockey players left in Alaska.

As for traditions, I'm sure that a lot of school's do have traditions
and they carry out the traditions like normal.

Erica Crissinger
An Alaskan that lives near Anchorage!!

Tom Rowe wrote:

>Unless I am mistaken, a seawolf is a euphemism for a shark or a killer whale
>(forget which).  Of course there are two intertwined threads, here - one
>about littering the ice with anything, the other about the use of animals
>(living or dead) and whether that's "just good fun" or tasteless.  People
>develop passionate feelings about both issues, but especially the latter.

===========Reply==========
We here in Fairbanks have been trying for years to figure out what a
Seawolf actually is. We feel it is a mythical slug-like creature that lives
(barely) in Anchorage, slimes opposing hockey players in the neutral zone,
is rarely seen in front of the opponent's net, and is slightly less
exciting and animated than watching paint dry. There are those (I am not
saying who they might be) who believe that Seawolves skating defines "ice
littering".

As far as the "tradition" of fans throwing fish onto the ice to celebrate
some of the rare goals that they score, well, THE UAA ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT
BUYS THE FISH. They are mostly frozen salmon purchased from a local fish
market. They are "spontaneously" flung onto the ice by carefully selected
students. At one time, they were members of a swim team. Now-- who knows?

We here in Fairbanks sneer at such ersatz "traditions". We pride ourselves
on having no traditions whatsoever, though somebody was overheard yelling
"sieve" to a befuddled Carlson Center crowd the other day. It was after an
offsides call, and was directed at the linesm...., aaaahhhh, Associate
Referee.

--Jeff Partnow ([log in to unmask])

UAF, getting great in '98!
AND: Ron Anderson desrved a better fate. To say nothing of a better
Merrimack Administration.