Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1992 21:55:10 GMT
Dave writes:
> In my hockey-watching experience, despite what the rules say
>(which is that if a defending player last touches the puck en route to
>the net, then the goal is awarded "sans aide" (unassisted) to the nearest
>offensive player), it seems to me that hard shots that are deflected in
>by defenders are scored as if they'd gone in cleanly, with the shooter
>getting the goal, etc.  On the other hand, if a defenseman puts the puck
>in his own net after having some kind of possession, then the nearest
>offensive player gets the goal unassisted.

The rules don't actually say "if a defensive player last touches the puck",
they read "If a goal is SCORED by a defensive player..." (emphasis mine),
Rule 6-15-d.  I have always taken that to mean if the defense puts it in
its own net, the goal goes to the nearest offensive player; else, deflections
go to the shooter unless they go off an offensive player.

- mike