Sender:
From:
"Ralph N. Baer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 05:40:03 EST
I decided to limit my selection to the games that I attended (and besides,
the RPI-Duluth NCAA semifinal from 1985 was already mentioned :-) ).
My selection is the RPI-Cornell game of 4 December 1968 in Troy.  RPI beat
Cornell and Ken Dryden in overtime on a goal by sophomore wing Doug Hearns
assisted by linemates Bill Stabler and Barry Sherwood.  This was RPI's
second game of the season, and perhaps Cornell's first, and it dashed
Cornell's hope of an undefeated season early in Dryden's final year.

My recollection is that contrary to current practice, the fans did not
leave early.

As an afterthought, Cornell did go undefeated in 69-70, but RPI again beat
Cornell to end their streak in December 1970.

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74