Sender:
From:
Geoff Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 22:36:54 -0400
Bill Fenwick's puck-to-the-head fable reminded me of the true story
behind the absurdly high glass at Baker Rink (which results in a fish
bowl effect -- the one rink where you KNOW the players can't hear
what the fans say) ... In 1991-92, I believe, Yale defenseman Scott
Matusovich's errant clear sailed over the glass and struck Mary Early,
mother of Tiger freshman Ethan Early, in the cheek.  Mrs. Early suffered
a broken cheekbone and facial lacerations, I believe.  First year coach
Don Cahoon, looking for an excuse to lobby for new boards and glass,
approached Jim Early, Ethan's dad and a noted asbestos litigator, and
asked him to write a letter to the University (on law firm stationary,
of course) complaining that the current rink set up posed a hazard to
the fans.  Mr. Early gladly obliged, but I think Toot got more than he
bargained for.  Mrs. Early saw the end of the game, by the way. Them
Early's are a tough bunch....

-Geoff