Sender:
From:
John Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 10:38:53 CST
Steve Rockey wrote:
> My question is about Shattuck St. Mary's which is a new name to me.
>Cornell has a freshman from there and looking over other team rosters I
>find two more freshman (at Harvard and Denver) but no upper class players.
>Is this a new program or a program that has upgraded significantly?  I am
>also curious about who they play since I do not think there are enough
>private schools to fill a schedule in Minnesota.  Do they travel
>extensively to play other Preps or do they play high school and/or junior
>teams?

For several years I have been a tournament director (along w/ Jim Salfi - former
RPI coach and father of former college players Kurt, Kermit and Kent, Jerry
Patrick - father of former Notre Dame Captain and current Deerfield Assistant -
Kevin, Jim Kenny, my old Union College economics Professor,  and father of
Providence's Jay - currently in the Rangers organization  among others) of the
Capital District Prep School Hockey Tournament.  As far as I know Shattuck St.
Mary's has been a hockey power for years.

Until the NCAA changed the rules several years ago regarding the number of times
a coach could evaluate a prospective student athlete (hey - why not make a
$100,000 investment based on seeing someone play twice...don't get me going)
this was one of the premier Prep/Junior  tourneys around.  Traditionally we held
the tournament the week after New Years, but with the new legislation we were
not getting the college coaches in that we traditionally would.  In past years
it was not unusual to have 60+ plus colleges in attendance, almost all the NHL
teams and recently 4-8 Major A organizations. Now we are evaluating what
direction we should go with the Tournament.

Tournament alumni included Eric Lindros, Jeremy Roenick, Tony Amonte, Andy Otto,
Scott LaChance Bill Guerin, Bob LaChance, Mike Richter, Tony Granato, Jim
Campbell as well as well over 100 future Division I players.

On several occasions over the years  Shattuck St. Mary's was on our list of
desired teams, but the timing was never right.  One of the better Junior players
from the Albany area is playing for Shattuck currently.

On another semi college related note, two of the more heavily DI recruited
players in the Albany area are Curtis Valentine whose Dad Chris played a
Clarkson in the Taylor years and Jay Leach whose Dad played at SLU and Uncles
are all coaching or playing somewhere now. They both play for the CD Midgets
coached by Jim Salfi.

I guess the purpose of all this rambling is; yes, Shattuck St Mary's is a known
hockey power and has been so for a long time and   another opportunity to rant
about the NCAA's stupidity(again).