Sender:
From:
Chuck Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 22:02:20 -0500
Adam Wodon, in predicting a Cornell win over Lake Superior State, says

> I think Cornell's best defense, has been its attacking, always hustling
> forechecking, led by captain Brad Chartrand, and the fourth liners,
> Jamie Papp, Andre Doll and Tony Bergin.

and Matt Cooney, Geoeff Lopatka, Kyle Knopp, P.C. Drouin, Mike
Sancimino, Ryan Smart--they've all been doing it.  I know Adam was
intentionally listing only a few, but the depth of the effort has been
the key to success.

>    Cornell's special teams have been nothing short of amazing lately.
> They take 7 penalties and get 3 PPs in a game, yet still come out plus-
> 2 all the time.

Now ranked first in the country on penalty kill at 86.6% and 6th on
power play at 25.3%.  But what has been really amazing is the penalty
kill the second part of the season.  Over the past 14 games, the rate
has been right around 95%.  Does anyone have the exact figures?

Cornell is nearing a team record for penalty minutes in a season.
Perhaps they set it over the past weekend.  This is counterintuitive,
at least to me, as there seem to have been several more heavily
penalized teams over the years--especially at the end of the Lou
Reycroft era.  But what would be more instructive, if anyone has these
data also, would be to know how the 95-96 team compares to other
Cornell teams in opponents' power play minutes--not counting matching
penalties and misconducts.

--
Chuck Henderson  <[log in to unmask]>