Sender:
From:
MR ADAM C WODON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 14:06:14 EST
-- [ From: Adam Wodon * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

OK, so finally we can talk some hockey.

I admit to knowing just about ZERO on the Western teams.  I've seen BU
and Lowell this year, so I'm OK with Hockey East.  The only western
teams I've seen are Wisconsin and Notre Dame, so that won't help us.

#5 Clarkson vs. #4 Western Michigan

To me, the bottom line for Clarkson is, getting great goaltending from
Dan Murphy (which they usually do), and getting great special teams.
These are Clarkson's strengths, and they must be a little bit stronger
than usual to have a chance.

Clarkson, to me, has often underachived in the ECAC tournament, which
has led to bad seedings, and poor showings in the NCAA Tournament.
Take a look at some of the names that have passed through Clarkson,
they're pretty impressive:  Hugo Belanger, Scott Thomas, Steve Dubinsky,
Jarmo Kekalainen, Chris Rogles, Jason Currie, Marko Tuomainen, Craig
Conroy, Ed Heinrich, Patrice Robitaille, Brian Mueller - I know there's
others.  That's a lot of talent.

This year, totally different.  There are no stars, and I give Mark
Morris a lot of credit.  Todd White has scored a lot this year, and
Dave Seitz and J.F. Houle are a pair of very good two-way players.  The
defense is very solid, though not as big as Morris would like.

At the beginning of the year, Morris said it would be more a team
concept this year, and he's pulled it off brilliantly.  I just don't
know if they have enough of each component - speed, size, firepower,
etc... -- to win this game.

With Magliarditi probably better than Murphy, that neutralizes one of
Clarkson's strengths.  It will probably be a low-scoring game -- if
it's not, Clarkson's in trouble.
   But Clarkson scored just one goal last week.  If Morris tries to
open it up a bit, they may be in trouble.

I say, Western Michigan wins, 4-2.

#6 Cornell vs. #3 Lake Superior State
-------------------------------------

So the Lakers are flying into the postseason again.  So is Cornell, 14-
1-1 in its last 16.
   The problem: Cornell played CC, BU and Michigan this year, and got
thoroughly pummeled in each game.  To look at it negatively, they
haven't beaten a ranked team this year.  Of course, they've beaten a
lot of very good teams recently, and early in the year, they were just
getting their feat wet (Though it's still hard to overlook just how
badly Cornell was beaten).

   One thing that has to benefit Cornell, however, is that Mike Schafer
knows Lake State very well from being in the CCHA the last five years.

   Jason Elliott absolutely HAS TO keep playing as well as he has.  I
think back to last year when RPI's Mike Tamburro got hot and won
Tourney MVP, then fizzled in the NCAA's.  I don't think that will
happen to Elliott.

   It's no time for Cornell to get conservative.  I was a bit worried
when they started to protect that lead in the third period vs. Harvard.
I think Cornell's best defense, has been its attacking, always hustling
forechecking, led by captain Brad Chartrand, and the fourth liners,
Jamie Papp, Andre Doll and Tony Bergin.

   I said last week that I didn't think anybody but BU, and maybe Lake
State, could say they were playing as well as Cornell.  Well, Cornell
won their tourney, while BU and LSSU didn't.  Granted, the Lakers had
to play Michigan, but Cornell's confidence is such a high right now, I
think we have a real upset possibility here.

   I thought last week that Cornell was on such a roll, with so much
emotion and confidence, I was worried that one bad mistake might throw
them for a big loop.  Well, Harvard scoring 36 seconds into the
championship game then getting two early PPs, could qualify as
adversity --- but the Red rose to the challenge, and won anyway.
Nothing is phasing them.

   Let's hope that doesn't change just because this is now the NCAA
Tournament.

   Cornell's special teams have been nothing short of amazing lately.
They take 7 penalties and get 3 PPs in a game, yet still come out plus-
2 all the time.
   That would be playing with fire against LSSU, but if Cornell can
keep the PP chances even, I think they can win.

   I'm probably looking at this one through "Red-Colored Glasses" but
I'm going upset:

     Cornell 3, LSSU 2

Briefly on the next two possible games:
   I like BU to smoke WMU

   And a Cornell-Vermont matchup ... well, like I said, no one's
playing better than Cornell in the East, and that, of course includes
Vermont.  Tim Thomas has looked relatively mortal in the postseason --
the only thing helping Vermont is the extra day of rest.  Otherwise,
I'd love Cornell.
   I'll still take the Red to win the game and go to the final four.

   Hey, what the heck, if I'm wrong, well, everyone thought I was nuts
to begin with.

   See y'all at the Knick.

AW