Sender:
From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 1996 16:06:05 EST

I think you are holding Princeton's play a bit high.  RPI's defense played very
well on Saturday, sweeping the slots clean, and generally out muscling the
smaller, and less physical, Princeton forwards into the boards.  I don't think
that the Engineers were that impressive offensively, on that score I would cite
James Konte's generally lackluster play.  I note to my neighbor early in the
second that Konte didn't seem very comfortable in net.  In fact the dearth of
scoring in the third period owes more to RPI's offensive ineptitude than
Princeton's defense or Konte goaltending.

But on the subject of RPI's defense--I think right now they are the strength of
the team, at least when Patrick Rochon keeps his penalty minutes to 6 minutes
or less.  That will probably be the key tonight against Dartmouth.  But the
defense has been able to play a more physical style this year.  Of course there
have been many exxamples of miscues, read Harvard, but guys like Chris Aldous ha
have matured and shown they understand the basics of good defense.  With T
Tamburro not quite as strong as last year, (maybe he understands the necessity
that he just remain standing, if he's gone, there's no one to replace him)
the defense has been essential.
The defenses's problem has been the inability to generate any offense, and to
step up into the offensive flow.

Princeton seems much weaker than last year's overachieving bunch.  Brown will
have to play below its potential tonight for Princeton to have any chance.

Finally, the Freakout was quieter than usual, but actually louder than any game
this season.  The Fieldhouse has been a tomb at times, and it is quite
uncomfortable to the RPI faithful.  Of course, so is losing 20 games.  I've
noticed in general the Fieldhouse has been growing quieter, particularly so in
the last two years.  I don't know if that is a reflection of the students, or
a disinterested alumni/locals section, but this year I don't think there were
any teams who dreaded having to skate at Houston.  If the trend continues next
year I think the administration will be faced with a problem that will require
some type of intervention.  I leave it to you imagination what the solution
might be.
Brian Morris                  RPI Engineers--Beat Dartmouth