Sender:
From:
Andrew Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 1996 15:14:18 -0500
I've seen posts about who would make it should the season end today
and about should we really have overtimes forever. Why does all
of this sound familiar? :-)

My $.02:

I love shootouts, too. They are exciting to watch. However, my
morals are jumping in here saying that it doesn't determine a true
winner, as many have said over the years. I'd rather see the ECAC
playoffs do a "true" 3-game series. What I mean is that have all
3 games played to the end - until someone scores. This determines
a "true" winner to the series, in my mind. Besides, overtimes are
just as exciting, IMO.

Who should make the tournament as of today? Well, I've thought
about what certain teams need to do in order to solidify their
chances. Here's what I've come up with:

(Disclaimer: This is by no means my prediction on who will make it,
so comments, rebuttals, etc. are welcome)

HE: BU is in, period. Lowell should be going, as well. I think
    they need to win in the HE Quarters to assure the committee, but
    we should see them, regardless. Any of the remaining teams (except
    fro Maine) can only get by winning the HE tournament.

ECAC: Vermont is in because they won the regular season. I think
      Clarkson may get in as of right now, as well. They need to
      win the ECAC Quarters and show up in Lake Placid to convince
      the committee, IMO. SLU and Cornell are tough ones because of
      the RPI. I think Cornell's best chance is to win the tourney
      (of course, that's everyone's best chance :-), as well as
      St. Lawrence. If Vermont beats one of these two in the ECAC
      finals, then the loser has a good shot. My best guess right
      now would be Vermont, Clarkson, and SLU.

CCHA: LSSU & Michigan are locks. Western probably just needs a trip
      to the Joe, Michigan St. may need a trip to the CCHA finals.
      I think Bowling Green's chances hinge on what happens should they
      reach the semis. No chance for them if they don't get there.
      So, the CCHA will send LSSU, Michigan, & Western at the least.
      We'll probably see Michigan St., too. Regardless, no more
      than 4 teams should go, in my opinion.

WCHA: CC is in. Minnesota needs a strong showing in Milwaukee, probably
      just for seeding purposes in the NCAAs. Denver shot themselves
      in the foot. I think it may all depend on what happens in the
      CCHA. Should they select 4 teams from there, then we'll probably
      see Denver next year. Wisconsin, Michigan Tech, and St. Cloud
      can get in only by a tournament win.

So, what seems to be throwing a monkey in this wrench is the CCHA. If
they would stop winning, then life would be easier.  :-)

Seriously, I don't see anyone else coming out of Hockey East or the
WCHA than who I've mentioned. Picking a team from the ECAC will be
tough after Vermont & Clarkson. Those two could really make it hard
if the ECAC final was between them (I'd love to see it, but I don't
think the committee would :).

I guess the best way to know would be to read your mail on March 17th.

Andy

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
+                                                                     +
+  Andy Weise           Let's Go Tech!                                +
+  SUNY Potsdam '93                     [log in to unmask]       +
+  Union College '95    Let's Go U!                                   +
+  Performance Systems International, Inc. (PSI)                      +
+  "If you think nobody cares you're alive, try missing a couple of   +
+   car payments."                                                    +