Sender:
From:
Nathan Boyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 11:49:24 -0500
To: Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
On Fri, 23 Feb 1996, Jim Love wrote:

> Hi -
>
> On Thu, 22 Feb 1996, Nathan Boyle wrote:
> > And as for all this seeding talk....
> >
> > Frankly a lot of us will be thrilled just to make the NCAAs this year, it
> > has been awhile!  It would be nice to add another banner to our collection.
> >
> > Nathan W.L. Boyle / BGSU's 1# fan
>
>   Uh oh, this is the kiss of death ....  There is no dishonor in losing to
> a worthy and (at least for one night) superior opponent, but this talk of
> "thrilled to be here" and "moral" victories has never won a Championship
> at any level, and - IMHO - is counterproductive.  Some will accuse me of
> fostering a "victory over everything" attitude, a stance that has lead to
> all manner of abuse / rules violations, but you would be misinterpreting
> my meaning.  Does anyone think for a minute that BU, or Late State, goes
> into the NC$$ Tournament each year "just happy to be here" ?!?  Winning
> isn't "everything," but it's been my observation that no one ever gets to
> that point without first believing that they *belong* there, a cocky, self-
> confident attitude bordering on arrogance that Championship caliber teams
> have in abundance ....
>
>   Cheers from the Chesapeake - Jim

Sure, but I wasn't talking about an NCAA championship banner, not this
year anyway.  I was just stating that given the rough year this turned
into for us, that making the NCAA tourney this year would be considered
something to be happy about around here (from a fan perspective you
understand), and would be a good sign of things to come.  It has been a
long dry spell in ivy BG.  Those that have been to the BGSU ice arena
know we have banners for each NCAA  we have made and the
round we made it to.  Likewise, though I am not sure how well we might
do, even if we get there (given that there are four more regular season
games, plus the CCHA tourney left to play), none of our current players
have played in the NCAAs.  Few have experience beyond the first round
of the CCHA tourney.  Just getting there will be a major step
forward in the restoring Falcon Hockey to it's old prominence.  People
see the progress Buddy is making, and are seeing the recruits he is
bringing in.  The words "National Championship" are creeping back into
the Falcon hockey lexicon.  Had we knocked off WMU and a few others off,
and played better in the mid part of the season, and had a few other
factors that were out of our control gone the other way, this would be a
team riding high on confidence as you describe.

Nathan W.L. Boyle
BGSU's 1# Fan