Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 00:50:09 -0100
At 8:19 PM 2/21/96, Charlie Shub wrote:
>based on glen's numbers and the RPI numbers, I've speculated
>who would be in the tournament and how they would be seeded.
>first, i eliminated maine.   Now the obvious seeds are
>

>        west            east
>1       CC              BU
>2       minnesota       vermont
>3       western mich    clarkson
>4       mich state      lowell
>5       mich            st. lawrence
>6       lssu            cornell
>7       denver
>8       bowling green

My question is, why do you go by the RPI and the other ratings Glen lists? =
 That isn't the method that will be used.  Using the pairwise comparison=
 method, which is up on the College Hockey Home Page and is posted to=
 INFO-HOCKEY-L by Tim Brule, the top 12 teams other than Maine are:

        west                east
1       CC (2)              BU (1)
2       minnesota (3)       vermont (9)
3       western mich (4)    clarkson (11)
4       michigan (5)        lowell (12)
5       msu (6)
6       lssu (8)
7       denver (10)
8       bowling green (13)

Overall ranking is in parentheses.  Top 12 teams other than Maine were=
 taken, then ranked by region.

The question then is, how will the crossovers be determined?  If the top=
 four teams in each region are kept home, as has been done in the past, then=
 the bottom two West teams would play in the East (Denver, BG).

Re-seeding the East, Denver hops up to third ahead of Clarkson because of=
 overall ranking:

        west                east
1       CC (2)              BU (1)
2       minnesota (3)       vermont (9)
3       western mich (4)    denver (10)
4       michigan (5)        clarkson (11)
5       msu (6)             lowell (12)
6       lssu (8)            bowling green (13)

Note that only one ranking separates Vermont and Denver, and that if they=
 flip-flopped, Denver would be seeded second and get a bye.  Next question=
 is, would the committee choose to do this and give Denver a bye when they=
 ranked only 7th in their region?  Maybe...maybe not.  Perhaps they would=
 send a higher ranked team East and give them the bye.  Right now, who knows=
.

This all presumes, of course, that the pairwise method used is correct (it=
 currently includes games vs Maine, but we do not know for certain if these=
 games will be included) and that all of the conf reg season and tourney=
 champs come from these 12 teams.

Seems to me that once you get that pairwise comparison done correctly, the=
 rest is (almost?) a piece of cake.  No need to worry about the RPI or=
 anything else since it is incorporated into the pairwise method.  The big=
 question is who crosses over.  This is where we could see a precedent set,=
 if they choose to send East a higher ranked team to get the bye.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93