Sender:
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 1991 15:30:06 -0500
 David Parter writes:

 >...stuff deleted...
 >Bob Ames has got to be the worst ref in the WCHA. Worse
 >than Buzzy.

 I agree wholeheartedly. It was really wierd though, because for parts of both
 games he was on top of it, but then seemed to suddenly GO BLIND!  I wanted to
 yell "I want Medo!" but Erik told me not to ;-). I was very disappointed in
 the calls that were missed and those that he did make. On more than one
 occasion, I saw the penalty and thought that it was interference and he called
 it holding, when clearly one player was NOT holding on to the other.  Things
 really started to get out of control in the second period of Saturday's game
 and that's when all those coincidental minors resulted in a stint of three-on-
 three play. I can only hope that Ames was having a REALLY BAD night. I hate to
 think that we're going to have controversial reffing by more than one or two in
  this league.  (In light of what happened at Michigan Tech Nov 1 & 2 by Chick
 Yackel, and Buzzy IS still around too.) Has anyone seen Pierre lately? ;-)

 >Bill Howard's marble theory:

 We have this here too! Surprise, surprise!!  And this originated from
 watching the great Medo operate. I wonder how this happens if it is NOT by
 design?

 >Saturday night's game at the Met center set new WCHA and NCAA attendance
 >records for a regular season game (North Dakota v. Wisconsin at last year's
 >Badger Hockey Showdown has the record for any college game. The previous
 >regular season record was Michigan-Michigan State at the Joe Louis Arena.)
 >Minnesota was reported to have made about $200,000 on the game (twice the
 >seats, and they didn't have to pay rent).  There is already talk about
 >playing at the met center several times next year -- tickets would be sold
 >in a package of all N met center games.

 The attendance on Saturday night was 15,712. It was quite a crowd!  I was not
 happy to see that they are already planning MORE games off-campus for next
 year. I understand the need for more revenue, but I don't appreciate the games
 on NEUTRAL ice.  The University was literally GUARANTEED a profit of $200,000.
 from the Met Center plus additional revenue from concessions and parking.
 They may make that much when we play Wisconsin, I'm not sure about when we play
  Duluth and North Dakota...

 As for Dan Glumac's comments on the awful play on Friday night, it really
 wasn't THAT bad.  The ice was really soft, and when that happens, players trip
 and fall all over each other.  The first period on Saturday night was by far
 the most exciting and well-played. The second period got real chippy and had
 alot of clutch-and-grab courtesy of the Badgers.

 It was a great series but I would have rather been in Mariucci both nights.

 Carol
 U of M
 GO Gophers!!!