Sender:
From:
"TERRENCE GILDRED 4XW 271-6782 (NICK)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 1995 10:43:55 EST
From:   US4RMC::"[log in to unmask]" "MAIL-11 Daemon" 18-MAR-1995 08:40:52.30
To:     Multiple recipients of list HOCKEY-L <[log in to unmask]>
CC:
Subj:   Shoot-out vote - NOT!

M. Wheeler responded:

>I think it's great if Nick Gildred (or others) want to conduct an off-line
>poll on the shoot-out, but the answers will make sense only if the question
>does.  A shoot-out as compared to what: the old 60 minute tie? the previous 60
>plus 5 minutes sudden death? 60 minutes then a shoot-out? or the proposal that
>was floated in Chance, 60 minutes, a shoot-out, then a 5 minute reprieve?

The question is real simple, after a season with the shootout in HE, do you,
or don't you want to see the shootout stay?  I you, or someone else would
care to open up a debate on what's a better alternative, I'll gladly
participate in that debate.  Or if you, or someone else would like to conduct
your own off-line poll with a list of options to shootouts to select from,
I'll also gladly respond to that poll, but that was not my intent. I intended
only to tally responces and publish the result on Hockey-L to a simple
question.  You make some fine points and I encourage you to take it a step
futher if you wish... I for one will support you.

>So before some poll is annointed as representing HOCKEY-L nation, let's make
>sure that we know what we are comparing.  Incidentaly, I'm puzzled by the
>argument that the Shoot-out is somehow flawed because it made a difference in
>the standings (i.e., created a first place between BU and Maine).  The whole
>point of any of these systems (sudden death, shoot-out, etc.) is to make a
>difference.

The only comparison is past years without a shootout to this year with a shoot
out :)  I was not making the argument you mentioned above, maybe someone else
did.  My point was that there was ambiguity as a result of the shootout point
system that created CO-HE champs.  This is one of the things we were told the
new shoutout system would help prevent. It didn't!

>A final point, not many people seem to realize it, but Maine actually benefited
>from another, more subtle change in the HE rules this year, namely using
>head-to-head competition to determine seedings in the case of a tie.  Until
>this year, the first tie-breaker was league victories, which would have given
>BU the number one slot in the playoffs.

Your missing the point.  If we played by last years rules Maine would have
won HE out right! No tie, no tie breakers.  Under the old 2-1 system Maine
would have had more points then BU. No head to head comparisions needed.

Regards,
        Nick