Sender:
From:
"John W. Davis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 1994 12:07:02 EST

> Even though this is somewhat after the fact, I was wondering if anyone
> on the list attended the CCHA/WCHA "tournament" a few weeks ago.  The
> local Ann Arbor papers suggested that the Badgers took many penalties
> and had very poor penalty killing in their game against Michigan.  Has
> this been a pattern all season?
>
> In addition, last year after the CCHA/WCHA get together, the Michigan
> coach, Red Berenson, blasted the Badger program.  He said something to
> the effect that he didn't like the team, the coach or the entire
> program at UW and wished he could play them more often such that
> Michigan could beat them.  Of course, the Badgers, beat Michigan in a
> rather dirty, penalty filled game.  Did this carry over this year too?
> Red was much more conciliatory in his comments about the Badgers but I
> chalk that up to Michigan winning this  game.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nik Subotic
>
> PS:  I'm also getting the impression that Sauer and crew aren't as
> agressive or succesful in pursuing recruits in Canada as they (and
> especially Badger Bob) were.  Comments?

I also heard the same thing (about the penalties).  I'm not sure why
Red hates UW.  He didn't like the fact that the Milwaukee fans
supported Maine in the semifinals in '93 (what did he expect?
the week before Mi kept WI from making it).  Maybe this has some-
thing to do with it!

I don't think recruiting has fallen off.  Sauer actually has gotten
better at getting the MN talent (Strobel Brothers, Dan Tompkins and
the freshman Englehart-I'm not sure if is from MN-I'm may
be wrong-then again I think I spelled the name wrong!).
Where Sauer falls off (compared to Badger Bob) is coaching
ability.  Then again I'm pretty sure most people would!

Sauer's teams have been chippier (especially all the talented
goons on skates from the last couple of years-are you reading
this Fairchild and Zent?!).

later

jd
ON WISCONSIN!