Sender:
From:
Steve Weisfeldt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 1994 10:09:40 EDT
From:         "David M. Josselyn" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Coaches on the hotseat

> 2. That leaves the PC-Bruins coaching spot open.  A few years back, when
> Milbury moved from the Maine Mariners to the B's bench, Merrimack coach
> Ron Anderson was mentioned as a possible candidate. I'm not saying that,
> the Boston Globe did. To my knowledge, the job was never officially
> offered to him. Anderson is an ex-Bruin and an ex-Capital.

        O'Connell's got a fine ass't in Mark Kumpel, the ex-ULowell
player.         Wonder if he'd got a shot at the top job in Providence....

> 4. However, there are supporters of Merrimack hockey who would not be
> saddened at Anderson's departure. Anderson is extremely hardworking,
> dedicated, and straightforward. However, it has been said that some of
> his behavior alienates players' parents, and potentially prospective
> players. Some of the parents would simply like to see him spend a bit
> more time talking to them at after-game get-togethers. The players do.

> From a media perspective, Anderson was great. He was the straightest
> coach I ever interviewed, honest almost to a fault. But many MC fans,
> frustrated with the program's difficulty moving from the 6-7-8 spots in
> Hockey East, think that some kind of change would help. The other
factors
> affecting the program's success (size, reputation of school, rink
> quality) are a lot harder to alter than who's behind the bench. The
> coaching situation has not improved with the loss of assistant Scott
> MacPherson to UMass-Amherst.

        I've always thought that Ron Anderson teams were excellently
coached.
        Never had the "blue-chip" player, and probably regulated to the
6-7-8
        spot for the near future, but I've always felt that his teams were
the
        hardest working teams in HE.  Over the years, probably the only
team
        in Hockey East that would "show up" for EVERY game.

        At the same time, though, maybe a coaching change would be good
for
        the Warriors.  As much as I felt the NC$$ screwed Billy Riley and
as
        sorry I was to see him leave Lowell, I do feel that the change
        benefited the Lowell program infinitely.  Maybe a similar change
would
        do Merrimack good as well.  It might take a while, but I believe
they
        can become "contenders".  I really feel that Martin Legault can be
one
        of the best goalies in the east.

           - Steve

Steve Weisfeldt                                   Go Chiefs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                                  (Go River Hawks??)
University of Lowell (now UMASS-Lowell)  1986, 1988