Sender:
From:
"foster sarah ( mps posi)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 1994 19:03:37 -0400
Hi All,

I just wanted to add some to what has already been written about the
Final Four experience.  The events of the weekend have been described so
I thought I give it  little different slant.

My first indication of what the weekend was going like happened on my
flight from Chicago to St. Paul.  While waiting for my flight to be
boarded my attention was caught by a man pulling out a baseball cap with
Gopher ears on it.  He kept the hat on until I noticed him, gave me a
little smirk and took the hat off.  I think at that time he pointed out
to the group he was with that I had a Maine hockey sweatshirt on because
they all let out this huge roar.
        As it so happens I ended up sitting in front of some older BU
fans on the plane.  (I made this deduction after listening to their
conversation and their accent.)  I got up my courage and turned around
and asked them if the were going to the Final Four.  Of course, they said
yes.  They asked me where I was from (they couldn't see my shirt).   I
said Maine, upon which they both of them snickered.  One man replied
"Things are so hot up there they can melt ice."   We had a short but nice
discussion.  He was impressed that I was going out to see the games when
Maine wasn't there.

I didn't know if all the stares I was getting at the rink were because of
the whole Maine situation this year or because of the distance.  Probably
both but more the former than the latter.

The Hockey-L dinner was great fun.  Gabs were flying right and left.  The
response to during the introductions from one hockey-ler after I said I
went to Maine was a call for a moment of silence.

The walk to the rink from Shannon Kelly's was interesting.  Tons of
Gophers hoping to get tickets were outside.  One asked me "Are lost?".

In writing this I don't me to imply that there weren't lost of other
people there whose schools weren't there but with everything that
happened this year it was particularly interesting to be a Maine fan.

I only wish I could have been at the talk with Coach Walsh.

Other thoughts.

I found it really interesting to be there without "my" team being there.
The most interesting thing, to me, was the battle of the bands in the lobby.
With the teams on opposite ends of the lobby I found myself sort of in
the middle of the two (even though I was rooting for BU (Yes you read
correctly) along with some UNH fans and a couple other schools.  It was
great to be able to look at the whole thing from sort of a removed distance.
For those of you who were there know what I mean when I was that is wht
hockey is all about.

sarah.
a Maine fan.
Yes I rooted for BU