Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 91 14:44:01 EST
Mike writes:
>St. Lawrence 4, Cornell 3  OT
>	In the scoreless first period of play, SLU lokked quite
>	good and were going to give the Big Red trouble.

    I was very impressed with SLU's defense.  That's what kept them in
    the game.  Cornell really looked like they were going to rout SLU
    when they opened it up early in the second, but bad penalties cost
    them the game, in my opinion (SLU 2 for 4 on the PP, all in the 2nd).
    The Saints actually outshot Cornell 26-15 over the 2nd and 3rd periods,
    4-3 in the OT.  Referee Marty McDonough swallowed his whistle in the
    third period which was more to Cornell's benefit than SLU's, especially
    when a Cornell defenseman, I believe it was Dave Burke, swept the puck
    underneath him while he was fallen in the crease, but McDonough failed to
    call the penalty shot.

>	In OT SLU contimued to dominate the play and Daniel Laperriere
>	scored on a wierd shot from the point.

    If I remember correctly, Lapierre was the guy who got smoked on
    Manderville's go-ahead goal half-way through the third that made it 3-2
    Cornell.  Bet he was VERY happy to score the game-winner.

>             I believe that it was the year that SLU went to the NCAA
>finals that these two teams last met.  I'm pretty sure that SLU shut-out
>Clarkson in that game.  So it's pay-back time.

    Let's see...yup, in 1988, SLU won that game, 3-0.  A nice bit of revenge
    for the Knights last night.  Congrats to the Clarkson fans.

    Oh yeah - anyone affiliated with or knowing the Clarkson band, please
    thank them for playing "Happy Birthday" for me Saturday night.

    - mike