From:
Melora Norman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melora Norman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2016 10:56:03 -0400
Greetings,

I am not a lawyer, but would think that an individual making choices in
front of a TV doesn't constitute a group viewing that would require a
license.

There are several nice resources here:

http://www.ala.org/tools/libfactsheets/alalibraryfactsheet07

I have heard it suggested several times that our actions can narrow
everyone's fair use rights.  As fair use advocate and professor Peter Jaszi
has suggested in conference sessions, fair use is like a muscle: if we
don't use it, we lose it.  So if we defend fair use in our libraries, we
are also protecting it for our patrons.  If we apply a restrictive
interpretation, that can strengthen others' ability to further limit fair
use rights.

There is a nice section on fair use with an online evaluator here:

http://www.ala.org/advocacy/copyright/fairuse

Hope that helps,

Melora

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 10:22 AM, Janet Wilson <[log in to unmask]