From:
Janet Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2022 10:49:37 -0500
These are scary times, and yes, intellectual freedom is under attack
from many directions. However, I always look at things slightly
differently when it involves children. I know very few people who
think that children should have access to all materials which are
available. Even most librarians (who strongly support the freedom to
read) would have a problem with a school making Playboy Magazine
available to their students. And there is not a clear line between
"acceptable" materials and "unacceptable" materials. It is on a
continuum, but pretty much everyone draws a line somewhere. The
question is, "Who gets to decide where that line is and what is
appropriate for children to read?" I have not looked into what
materials are in question in Tennessee (and am not suggesting that I
think having the legislature approve reading materials is a good
solution). However, it is my opinion that parents (who generally care
more about their own children than anyone else does) should have a lot
of say in what their children read and are taught. And, it seems to be
more frequently the case that parents have been shut out of this
decision in schools. I think what we are seeing is parents'
frustrations boiling over from lack of respect for each of their
standards for their own children.

Just another perspective... (and I am sorry for the uproar I am likely
to provoke with this),

Janet Wilson

--
Janet Wilson, Director