Sender:
Date:
Sat, 13 Aug 2022 12:06:33 -0400
From:
Kristin Arsenault <[log in to unmask]>
To: Heather Perkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Hello all,

I want to thank everyone, particularly MASL and MLA for their support
during this book challenge and ultimately, book ban. While it has been an
emotionally difficult time, I have felt incredible support from our state
library community. When I reached out for help, I heard back almost
immediately. Opposition to the book by some individuals online was intense,
and at time included accusations of grooming and pedophilia that made it
difficult for individuals who worked at the school (including myself) to
publicly respond. MASL and MLA's letters helped immensely, despite the
ultimate outcome.

While I hope that with the removal of the book that this marks the end of
the challenges, after a particularly charged board meeting that included a
lot of anti-trans and LGBT rhetoric from the community, I suspect that this
may only be the beginning (though, nothing has happened yet). It is a
comfort to me to know that the Maine library community is there for each
other during this time.

Thank you again,
Kristin

--
This is a staff email account managed by Regional School Unit 56.  This
email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended