Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 1992 15:01:08 -0500
Several people wanted to know what the rest of the article, which
noted the ECAC's voting to go to a 27 game schedule, was about. I
used "Harvard Beefs" to abbreviate the article title, which prompted
some to wonder whether the vote was in response to Crimson Crying
about having only 2 non-Beanpot NC games. Well, although the actual
title was "Harvard Beefs Up for Stretch," and the article was about
the return of several veteran to the lineup, it's a funny coincidence
(certainly not attributable to any sense, of humor or otherwise, on
the part of the Second Worst Sports Desk of any major U.S. paper),
that the meaning that many astute hockey-l posters read into it is at
least as appropriate.

Anyway, this is unqualifiedly GOOD news for the Ivies, and for the
ECAC in general (since building up the Ivies' schedule may directly
contribute to the rehabilitation of the conference's tarnished
image). I would love to see Cornell, for example (yeah, I know, big
surprise) to burn one game with a
show-off-in-front-of-the-Faithful-and-the-recruits home game against
a Canadian university, and then play one local (Syracuse? Yale?) and
one "distant" (who'll ever take us) tourny.

I heard some murmurings about negotiations for a home-and-home with
(gulp) Maine. Has this gone anywhere?

- Greg
- Somerville
- Happy Hockey Holidays

The worst? By a country mile: the San Francisco Chronicle ("Comical")